27 September 2007

MY NEWEST BUMPERSTICKER: KEEP ME WEIRD

DISAPPEARING ACTS

Well, the twentysomething punked-out girl and boy who were taking tickets at the Psychic TV concert ended up being the highlight of the night. I kissed them both. Tenderly. Fervently. They took the (admittedly mild) kink like pros.

That show was more than a month ago now and I’m still thinking that Alice Genese is the sexiest bassist around. Wow. Being in the front row and dancing with Alice all night? Good times.

Unlike my other front row experience for the month.

Went to the Eddie Izzard work in progress show in Scottsdale—his first appearance in Arizona—and was underwhelmed. Don’t get me wrong: I’m a big fan of his comedy, and not just because of the TG linkup that used to be part of his material. He’s well-spoken on and off stage, and his brain is seemingly in overdrive, which I totally dig. (Eddie, I love you. Call me.)

BUT, he had very little new material, and except for two brief and laser-sharp segments on war and evolution (Spartan women giving birth, and “monkey-monkey-monkey-you”), his show felt slapdash and incredibly premature, even for a work in progress. It’ll be interesting to see how the show shapes up over time, though: part of the whole reason I went is precisely because I wanted a glimpse of the artistic process* at work because yes, I will go see the tour when it launches next year.

*I know it sounds twee, but how often do you get to see an artist do that? When was the last time you went to an art gallery, saw an artist preparing a canvas or mixing the paints on her palette, and then went to the show to view the final product? I for one am precisely the kind of nerd who finds that shite fascinating. Sue me.

RINGING MY BELLS

Hot date next week. Late dinner and coffee. V-e-e-e-r-y civilized.

Not sure what's in store here. It's a first date, and virtual-to-flesh is sometimes a bumpy ride.

“Andres”* is a pre-op MTF transsexual who digs GGs (joy!) and, like me, isn't afraid to get sweaty climbing mountains -- or to risk breaking her nails during vigorous picnic playtime with the dog. So she says, and I have no reason yet to doubt her truthiness.

*Not sure why this name came to mind in my quest to protect the presumably innocent. L7 reference anyone?


HIP-HIP

Well, the Matthew Shephard Act passed in the Senate, my friends and les abonnĂ©s. A big victory for queer rights, IF it can get through the House and then survive the big blustery veto threat by the Man-Who-Would-Be-King in the White House. Of course, there’s something to be said for focusing on preventing someone from beating the shit out of someone else till they’re dead just because they’re different (black, queer, accordion-loving), but I still think it’s a good thing to be able to ensure that we acknowledge when crimes are related to intolerance and hate.

While we’re on the subject of neo-nazis, I’m looking forward to the release of the film This is England. Don’t miss it when it comes around: it seems an incredibly moving portrayal of how hate can so comfortably fill a void when it’s the only thing that feels like love in your life.

--Misc. Romance says “only connect.”

No comments: